Human identification is a universal process based on scientific principles, mainly involving finger printing. Theory of uniqueness is a strong point used in the analysis of fingerprints to convince the court of law. Likewise, even the lip print is unique of an individual and hence beholds the potential for identification purpose. Thus, lip prints can be used to verify the presence or absence of a person at the scene of crime. The wrinkles and grooves on labial mucosa called as sulci labiorum form a characteristic pattern called ′lip prints′ and the study of which is referred to as chieloscopy. The study group comprised of 20 females and 20 males. The materials used were lipstick, bond paper, cellophane tape, a brush for applying the lipstick, and a magnifying lens. This study shows that lip prints are unique to an individual and behold the potential for recognition of the sex of an individual.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
How to Cite
Preeti Sharma, Susmita Saxena, & Vanita Rathod. (2009). Cheiloscopy: The study of lip prints in sex identification. Journal of Forensic Dental Sciences, 1(1), 24–27. https://doi.org/10.4103/0974-2948.50884
- Utsuno H, Kanoh T, Tadokoro O, Inoue K. Preliminary study of post mortem identifi cation using lip prints. Forensic Sci Int 2005;149:129-32.
- Sivapathasundharam B, Prakash PA, Sivakumar G. Lipprints (cheiloscopy). Indian J Dent Res 2001;12:234-7.
- Synder LM. Textbook of homicide investigation. Identifi cation of dead bodies. 1950.
- Lip Print Identifi cation Anyone? (on People v. Davis --Ill.). Available from: http://forensic-evidence.com/site/ID/ ID00004_10.html. [last accessed on 2008 Nov 10].
- Tsuchihashi Y. Studies on personal identifi cation by means of lip print. Forensic Sci Int 1974;3:233-48.
- CastellÛ A, SeguÌ AM, Verd˙ F. Luminous lip-prints as criminal evidence. Forensic Sci Int 2005;155:185-7.
- Segui MA, Feucht MM, Ponce AC, Pascual FAV. Persistent lipsticks and their prints: New hidden evidence at the crime scene. Forensic Sci Int 2000,112:41-7.
- Ball J. The current status of lip prints and their use for identifi cation. J Forensic Odontostomatol 2002;20:43-6.
- Vahanwala S, Nayak CD, Pagare SS. Study of lip-prints as aid for sex determination. Medico - Legal Update 2005;5:93-8.
- Vahanwahal SP, Parekh DK. Study of lip prints as an aid to forensic methodology. J Indian Dent Assoc 2000;71:269-71.