The external surface of lips has many elevations and depressions forming a characteristic pattern called lip prints, examination of which is known as cheiloscopy. The lip prints are unique and distinguishable for every individual like fingerprints. The use of lip prints for human identification was first suggested in 1950 and researches were carried out in 1960s and early 1970s, resuming in the last few years. The present study was aimed to study the lip prints of different individuals in different parts of the lip and find out the incidence of any particular pattern in the given age group. Although lip prints identification has been utilized in the court in isolated cases, more researches need to be conducted in this field with regards to confirmation of uniqueness, and the collection and interpretation of evidence.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
How to Cite
T Saraswathi, Gauri Mishra, & K Ranganathan. (2009). Study of lip prints. Journal of Forensic Dental Sciences, 1(1), 28–31. https://doi.org/10.4103/0974-2948.50885
- Kasprazak J. Possibilities of cheiloscopy. Forensic Sci Int 1990;46:145-51.
- Aggarwal A. The importance of lip prints (Forensic Files). Available from: htt p://lifeloom.com//II2Aggarwal.htm. 24th Oct 2008.
- Synder LM. Textbook of Homocide investigation. Identifi cation of dead bodies. 1950. p. 65.
- Suzuki K, Suzuki H, Tsuchihashi Y. On the female lips and rouge. Jpn J Leg Med 1967;67:471.
- Suzuki K, Tsuchihashi Y. A new att empt of personal identifi cation by means of lip print. J Indian Dent Assoc 1970;42:8-9.
- Cott one JA, Standish SM. Textbook of outline of forensic dentistry. Special Tech (Cheiloscopy) 1981. p. 135.
- Vahanwahal SP, Parekh DK. Study of lip prints as an aid to forensic methodology. J Indian Dent Assoc 2000;71:269-71.
- Santos M. Queiloscopy: A supplementary stomatological means of identifi cation. International Microform J. Legal Medicine 1967. p. 2.
- Suzuki K, Tsuchihashi Y. Personal identifi cation by means of lip print. J Forensic Med 1970;17:52-7.
- Sivapathasundharam B, Prakash PA, Sivakumar G. Lip prints (Cheiloscopy). Indian J Dent Res 2001;12:234-7.
- Ball J. The current status of lip prints and their use for identifi cation. J Forensic Odontostomatol 2002;20:43-6.
- Segui MA, Feucht MM, Ponce AC, Pascual FA. Persistent lipsticks and their lip prints: A new hidden evidence at the crime scene. Forensic Sci Int 2000;112:41-7.
- Suzuki K, Tsuchihashi Y. Two criminal cases of lip print. ACTA Criminol Jpn 1975;41:61-4.
- William TR. Lip prints: Another means of identifi cation. J Forensic Dent 1991;41:190-4.