Age estimation in Indian adults by the coronal pulp cavity index
Background: Age estimation from tooth coronal index (TCI) using intraoral periapical radiographs by paralleling technique based on a reduction in the size of the dental pulp cavity with advancing age as a result of secondary dentin deposition. Aim and Objectives: The aim of this study is to estimate age for Indian adults using radiographs of mandibular first molar and second premolar teeth using coronal pulp cavity index. Materials and Methods: The study material consists of 400 intraoral periapical radiographs of mandibular second premolar and mandibular first molar from enrolled participants of either gender in the age group of 20–60 years. Statistical Analysis: Data analysis was done using SPSS (Statistical Package for Social Sciences), and Pearson's correlation coefficient (r) was used to find the correlation between age (years) and TCI. Results: TCI was computed for each tooth and regressed on the real age of the sample. The correlation coefficient “r” was −0.865 (for premolar combined sample) and −0.850 (for molar combined sample). The obtained equations were tested on test sample of fifty teeth and age was determined. The absolute mean error between actual and predicted age for premolars was 6.72 months and for molars, it was 9 months. Conclusion: Age estimation using TCI is a precise, noninvasive, less time-consuming, and an inexpensive method.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
How to Cite
Vaishali Koranne, Amit Mhapuskar, Swati Marathe, Sameer Joshi, Rashmi Saddiwal, & Shams Nisa. (2017). Age estimation in Indian adults by the coronal pulp cavity index. Journal of Forensic Dental Sciences, 9(3), 197–204. https://doi.org/10.4103/jfo.jfds_60_16
- Luntz LL. History of forensic dentistry. Dent Clin North Am 1977;21:7‑17.
- Boaz K, Gupta C. Dimorphism in human maxillary and mandibular canines in establishment of gender. J Forensic Dent Sci 2009;1:42‑4.
- Cameriere R, Ferrante L, Belcastro MG, Bonfiglioli B, Rastelli E, Cingolani M. Age estimation by pulp/tooth ratio in canines by peri‑apical X‑rays. J Forensic Sci 2007;52:166‑70.
- Joseph CC, Reddy BH, Cherian NM, Kannan SK, George G, Jose S. Intraoral dental radiography for adult age estimation: A reliable technique. J Indian Acad Oral Med Radiol 2013;25:287‑90.
- Gustafson G. Age determination on teeth. J Am Dent Assoc 1950;41:45‑54.
- Johanson G. Age determination from teeth. Odontol Revy 1971;22:1‑126.
- Kagerer P, Grupe G. Age‑at‑death diagnosis and determination of life‑history parameters by incremental lines in human dental cementum as an identification aid. Forensic Sci Int 2001;118:75‑82.
- Wittwer‑Backofen U, Gampe J, Vaupel JW. Tooth cementum annulation for age estimation: Results from a large known‑age validation study. Am J Phys Anthropol 2004;123:119‑29.
- Bodecker CF. A consideration of some of the changes in the teeth from young to old age. Dent Cosm 1925;67:543‑9.
- Ikeda N, Umetsu K, Kashimura S, Suzuki T, Oumi M. Estimation of age from teeth with their soft X‑ray findings. Nihon Hoigaku Zasshi 1985;39:244‑50.
- Drusini AG. Age estimation from teeth using soft X‑ray findings. Anthropol Anz 1993;51:41‑6.
- SaxenaS. Age estimation of Indian adults from orthopantomographs. Braz Oral Res 2011;25:225‑9.
- Drusini AG. The coronal pulp cavity index: A forensic tool for age determination in human adults. Cuad Med Forense 2008;14:235‑49.
- Patil SK, Mohankumar KP, Donoghue M. Estimation of age by Kvaal’s technique in sample Indian population to establish the need for local Indian‑based formulae. J Forensic Dent Sci 2014;6:166‑70.
- Cunha E, Baccino E, Martrille L, Ramsthaler F, Prieto J, Schuliar Y, et al. The problem of aging human remains and living individuals: A review. Forensic Sci Int 2009;193:1‑13.
- Babshet M, AcharyaAB, Naikmasur VG. Age estimation in Indians from pulp/tooth area ratio of mandibular canines. Forensic Sci Int 2010;197:1‑3.
- Żądzińska E, Drusini AG, Przegląd NC. The comparison between two age estimation methods based on human teeth. Przegl Antropologiczny 2000;63:95‑100.
- Igbigbi PS, Nyirenda SK. Age estimation of Malawian adults from dental radiographs. West Afr J Med 2005;24:329‑33.
- Karkhanis S, Mack P, Franklin D. Age estimation standards for a Western Australian population using the coronal pulp cavity index. Forensic Sci Int 2013;231:1‑3.
- Talabani RM, Baban MT, Mahmood MA. Age estimation using lower permanent first molars on a panoramic radiograph: A digital image analysis. J Forensic Dent Sci 2015;7:158‑62.
- Prapanpoch S, Dove SB, Cottone JA. Morphometric analysis of the dental pulp chamber as a method of age determination in humans. Am J Forensic Med Pathol 1992;13:50‑5.
- Cameriere R, De Luca S, Alemán I, Ferrante L, Cingolani M. Age estimation by pulp/tooth ratio in lower premolars by orthopantomography. Forensic Sci Int 2012;214:105‑12.
- Mathew DG, Rajesh S, Koshi E, Priya LE, NairAS, MohanA. Adult forensic age estimation using mandibular first molar radiographs: A novel technique. J Forensic Dent Sci 2013;5:56‑9.
- Shrestha M. Comparative evaluation of two established age estimation techniques (two histological and radiological) by image analysis software using single tooth. J Forensic Res 2014;5:1‑6.
- Khattab NA, Marzouk HM, Abdel Wahab TM. Application of tooth coronal index for age estimation among adult Egyptians. Schoolary Res 1‑15; 2013. Available from: https://www.academia.edu/1534256/ Application_of_Tooth_Coronal_Index_for_Age_Estimation_ Among_Adult_Egyptians. [Last accessed on 2017 Jun 21].
- Agematsu H, Someda H, Hashimoto M, Matsunaga S, Abe S, Kim HJ, et al. Three‑dimensional observation of decrease in pulp cavity volume using micro‑CT: Age‑related change. Bull Tokyo Dent Coll 2010;51:1‑6.
- Hietala EL, Larmas M, Salo T. Localization of estrogen-receptor related antigen in human odontoblasts. J Dent Res 1998;77:1384‑7.
- Jukic S, Prpic‑Mehicic G, Talan‑Hranilovc J, Miletic I, Segovic S, Anic I. Estrogen receptors in human pulp tissue. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2003;95:340‑4.
- Yokose S, Zhungfeng C, Tajima Y, Fujieda K, Katayama I, Katayama T. The effects of estrogen deficiency on glycosylation of odontoblasts in rats. J Endod 1998;24:645‑7.