Introduction: Several methods have been advocated for age estimation. Dentin translucency has been considered one of the non-invasive methods for age estimation, and it can be measured using the digital method. Aim: The aim of this study is to estimate the age by evaluating the length of dentin translucency. Materials and Methods: Ground section of 30 freshly extracted single-rooted permanent teeth from different individuals of known age and gender were performed dentin translucency was measured using a digital scanner. It was correlated with the age of these patients. Results: A linear regression analysis was performed to find the relationship between age and length of dentin translucency, and the Pearson correlation coefficient revealed a positive correlation (r = 0.59, P = 0.001). Conclusion: Dentin translucency can be considered a reliable parameter for age estimation.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Shah JS, Ranghani AF and Limdiwala PG. Age estimation by assessment of dentin translucency in permanent teeth. Indian J Dent Res. 2020; 31:31-6. https://doi.org/10.4103/ijdr.IJDR_428_18 DOI: https://doi.org/10.4103/ijdr.IJDR_428_18
- Acharya AB. A new digital approach for measuring dentin translucency in forensic age estimation. Am J Forensic Med Pathol. 2010; 31:133-7. https://doi.org/10.1097/PAF.0b013e3181cf328d DOI: https://doi.org/10.1097/PAF.0b013e3181cf328d
- Gupta S, Chandra A, Agnihotri A, Gupta OP and Maurya N. Age estimation by dentin translucency measurement using digital method: An institutional study. J Forensic Dent Sci. 2017; 9:42.
- Bang G and Ramm E. Determination of age in humans from root dentin transparency. Acta Odontol Scand. 1970; 28:3-35. https://doi.org/10.3109/00016357009033130 DOI: https://doi.org/10.3109/00016357009033130
- Johanson G. Age determination from teeth. Odont Revy. 1971; 22(Suppl 21):90.
- Solheim T. Dental root translucency as an indicator of age. Scand J Dent Res. 1989; 97:189-97. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0722.1989.tb01602.x DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0722.1989.tb01602.x
- Vasiliadis L, Stavrianos C, Dagkalis P, Parisi KS, Stavrianou I and Tatsis D. Translucent root dentine in relationship to increasing Age: Review of the literature. Res J Biol Sci. 2011; 6:925. https://doi.org/10.3923/rjbsci.2011.92.95 DOI: https://doi.org/10.3923/rjbsci.2011.92.95
- Miles AE. Dentition in the estimation of age. J Dent Res. 1963; 42(Suppl 1):255-63. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345630420012701 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345630420012701
- Bommannavar S and Kulkarni M. Comparative study of age estimation using dentinal translucency by digital and conventional methods. J Forensic Dent Sci. 2015; 7:71-5. https://doi.org/10.4103/0975-1475.150323 DOI: https://doi.org/10.4103/0975-1475.150323
- Metska E, Stavrianos C and Vasiliadis L. Estimation of dental age using root dentine translucency. Surg Journal. 2009; 4(2):21-28.
- Vasiliadis L, Darling AI and Levers BGH. Histology of Sclerotic Human Root Dentin. Archs Oral Biol. 1983; 28(8):693-700. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-9969(83)90103-6 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-9969(83)90103-6
- Puneeth HK, Nandini DB, Praveen SB, Selvamani M and Mandana D. A comparative study of efficacy of single rooted and double rooted teeth in age estimation using dentin translucency. J Forensic Odontostomatol. 2016; 2:1-10.
- Singhal A, Ramesh V and Balamurali PD. A comparative analysis of root dentin transparency with known age. J Forensic Dent Sci. 2010; 2:18-21. https://doi. org/10.4103/0974-2948.71052 DOI: https://doi.org/10.4103/0974-2948.71052