Purpose: It is a well-known fact that nature tries to eliminate what is not in use. Because of this, the number of certain teeth which are no longer necessary for function are either getting increasingly impacted or are not developing at all. This is especially the case where third molars are concerned. Furthermore, the presence or absence of the third molar is significant to all branches of dentistry and in particular, forensic dentistry. Objectives: The objectives of this study is to assess (1) The prevalence of third molar agenesis in population of age group 18–25 years. (2) The genderwise difference of third molar agenesis. (3) The difference between maxilla and mandible. Materials and Methods: Dental patients, who are advised or referred for orthopantomograph, visited to the Department of Oral Medicine and Radiology were included in the study. The study population comprised 300 patients. Statistical Analysis: The data obtained was tabulated and subjected to statistical analysis. SPSS version 17 software was used for the analysis of the data. The Chi-square test was used for the same. Results: The incidence of agenesis of the third molar is significantly higher for tooth number 18 (P < 0.001). Overall, it is significantly higher among females compared to the males (P < 0.001) in our study population. Conclusion: (1) The present study reports 46.7% agenesis of the third molar. (2) The frequency of third molar agenesis was found significantly greater in the females. (3) Third molar agenesis showed a greater predilection in maxilla compared to mandible.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
How to Cite
Nisha Singh, Shrinivas Chaudhari, Rohan Chaudhari, Sagar Nagare, Abhay Kulkarni, & Pratik Parkarwar. (2017). A radiographic survey of agenesis of the third molar: A panoramic study. Journal of Forensic Dental Sciences, 9(3), 130–134. Retrieved from https://jfds.org/index.php/jfds/article/view/541
- Pitekova L, Satko I. Controversy of third molars. Bratisl Lek Listy 2009;110:110-1.
- Kaur B, Sheikh S, Pallagatti S. Radiographic assessment of agenesis of third molars and para-radicular third molar radiolucencies in population of age group 18-25 years old – A radiographic survey. Arch Oral Res 2012;8:13-8.
- Bindayel NA. The role of third molar in orthodontic treatment. Pak Oral Dent J 2011;31:374-8.
- Secic S, Prohic S, Komsic S, Vukovic A. Incidence of impacted mandibular third molars in population of Bosnia and Herzegovina: A retrospective radiographic study. J Health Sci 2013;3:151-8.
- Priyadharshini KI, Idiculla JJ, Sivapathasundaram B, Mohanbabu V, Augustine D, Patil S. Age estimation using development of third molars in South Indian population: A radiological study. J Int Soc Prev Community Dent 2015;5 Suppl 1:S32-8.
- Hentisz AY. A Radiographic Study of Third Molar Agenesis in a Sample from the American Midsouth. Master’s Thesis, University of Tennessee; 2003.
- Sujon MK, Alam MK, Rahman SA. Prevalence of third molar agenesis: Associated dental anomalies in non-syndromic 5923 patients. PLoS One 2016;11:e0162070.
- Byahatti S, Ingafou MS. Prevalence of eruption status of third molars in Libyan students. Dent Res J (Isfahan) 2012;9:152-7.
- Endo S, Sanpei S, Ishida R, Sanpei S, Abe R, Endo T. Association between third molar agenesis patterns and agenesis of other teeth in a Japanese orthodontic population. Odontology 2015;103:89-96.
- Raloti S, Mori R, Makwana S, Patel V, Menat A, Chaudhari N. Study of a relationship between agenesis and impacted third molar (wisdom) teeth. Int J Res Med 2013;2:38-41.
- Hattab FN, Rawashdeh MA, Fahmy MS. Impaction status of third molars in Jordanian students. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 1995;79:24-9.
- Lynham A. Panoramic radiographic survey of hypodontia in Australian defence force recruits. Aust Dent J 1990;35:19-22.
- Tavajohi-Kermani H, Kapur R, Sciote JJ. Tooth agenesis and craniofacial morphology in an orthodontic population. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2002;122:39-47.
- Rahardjo P. Prevalence of hypodontia in Chinese orthodontic population. Dent J Majalah Kedokt Gig 2006;39:147-50.
- Nanda RS, Chawla TN. Status of third molar teeth. J Dent Assoc 1959;31:19-29.
- Kapadia H, Mues G, D’Souza R. Genes affecting tooth morphogenesis. Orthod Craniofac Res 2007;10:105-13.