Forensic odontology is an evolving science and has a greater scope of development. It has established as an indispensable science in medico-legal matters and in the identification of the dead person. The dental tissues are often preserved even if the deceased person is skeletonized, decomposed, burnt, or dismembered. Various methods have been developed to determine age, sex, and ethnicity of the person, using dental tissues. Data collection methods and supplementary technologies used in forensic dental identification have undergone significant transformation. This article provides an overview of the evolving trends in conventional methods, and the recent concepts used in forensic odontology.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Auerkari E. Recent trends in dental forensics. Indones J Leg Forensic Sci 2008;1:5-12.
- Singh NN, Gowhar O, Ain TS, Sultan S. Exploring trends in forensic odontology. J Clin Diagn Res 2014;8:ZC28-30.
- Balachander N, Babu NA, Jimson S, Priyadharsini C, Masthan KM. Evolution of forensic odontology: An overview. J Pharm Bioallied Sci 2015;7 Suppl 1:S176-80.
- Zakirulla M, MeerA. Modern tools in forensic dentistry. J Contemp Dent 2011;2:28-32.
- Balla SB. Forensic dental identification: Practice in Indian context compared to western countries. J Forensic Sci Med 2016;2:44-7.
- Hegde P, Shetty S, Gupta L. Role and Importance of forensic odontology in identification. Int Interdiscip J Sci Res 2014;1:64‑9.
- Carvalho SP, Silva RH, Lopes C Jr., Sales-Peres A. Use of images for human identification in forensic dentistry. Radiol Bras 2009;42:125-30.
- Rocha Sdos S, Ramos DL, Cavalcanti Mde G. Applicability of 3D-CT facial reconstruction for forensic individual identification. Pesqui Odontol Bras 2003;17:24-8.
- Wood RE, Kirk NJ, Sweet DJ. Digital dental radiographic identification in the pediatric, mixed and permanent dentitions. J Forensic Sci 1999;44:910-6.
- Hubar JS, Carr RF. Computed dental radiography used to reproduce antemortem film position. J Forensic Sci 1999;44:401‑4.
- Silva RF, Pereira SD, Prado FB, Daruge E 2nd, Daruge E. Forensic odontology identification using smile photograph analysis – Case reports. J Forensic Odontostomatol 2008;26:12-7.
- Giannelli PC. Bite Mark Analysis. Paper 153. Faculty Publications; 2007. Available from: http://scholarlycommons.law.case.edu/ faculty_publications/153. [Last accessed on 2016 Oct 02].
- Bhargava K, Bhargava D, Rastogi P, Paul M, Paul R, Jagadeesh HG, et al. An overview of bite mark analysis. J Indian Acad Forensic Med 2012;34:61-6.
- van der Velden A, Spiessens M, Willems G. Bite mark analysis and comparison using image perception technology. J Forensic Odontostomatol 2006;24:14-7.
- Silva RH, Musse JD, Melani RF, Oliveira RN. Human bite mark identification and DNA technology in forensic dentistry. Braz J Oral Sci 2006;5:1193-7.
- Datta P, Sood S, Rastogi P, Bhargava K, Bhargava D, Yadav M. DNA profiling in forensic dentistry. J Indian Acad Forensic Med 2012;34:156-9.
- Mayall SS, Agarwal P, Vashisth P. Dental DNA finger‑printing in identification of human remains. Ann Dent Spec 2013;1:16‑9.
- Reddy LV. Lip prints: An overview in forensic dentistry. J Adv Dent Res 2011;2:17-20.
- KrishnanRP, ThangaveluR, Rathnavelu V, Narasimhan M. Gender determination: Role of lip prints, finger prints and mandibular canine index. Exp Ther Med 2016;11:2329-32.
- Krishnappa S, Srinath S, Bhardwaj P, Mallaya CH. Palatal rugoscopy: Implementation in forensic odontology – A review. J Adv Med Dent Sci 2013;1:53-9.
- Verzé L. History of facial reconstruction. Acta Biomed 2009;80:5-12.
- Thomas T, Muruppel AM, Dinesh N, Gladstone S, George N. Dentures in forensic identification –A review of methods benefits. J Adv Med Dent Sci 2014;2:85-94.
- Rathee M, Yadav K. Denture identification methods: A review. IOSR J Dent Med Sci 2014;13:58-61.
- Bali SK, Naqash TA, Abdullah S, Mir S, Nazir S, YaqoobA. Denture identification methods: A review. Int J Health Sci Res 2013;3:100‑4.
- Sumalatha S, Padmaja S, Thumati P. “Every contact leaves its trace” – Insight into recent advances of forensic odontology. J Cancer Treat Res 2015;3:1-7.
- Stefanescu CL, Popa MF, Candea LS. Preliminary study on the tongue‑based forensic identification. Rom J Leg Med 2014;22:263‑6.
- Diwakar M, Maharshi M. An extraction and recognition of tongue-print images for biometrics authentication system. Int J Comput Appl 2013;61:36-42.