Aim: This survey aimed to evaluate the awareness of forensic odontology (FO) subject among dental students, dental academicians (DAs), and dental practitioners (DPs) in Gujarat state. Materials and Methods: A questionnaire sheet containing 14 questions was answered by 607 participants consisting of dental students, DAs, and DPs in Gujarat. Descriptive statistics were used to summarize the responses, and the results were presented as frequencies and percentages. The Chi‑square test was used to compare the responses among the groups, and the level of significance was set at P < 0.05. Results: A total of 607 participants answered the questionnaire form. Out of 212 UG students, 175 (82.5%) were aware of the FO branch and 181 (85.4%) agreed to FO as a promising field in dentistry. The majority of the undergraduate (UG) students agreed that FO should be taught as a separate subject at UG and postgraduate level. The majority of the participants (95.7%) agreed that dental evidence plays an important role in forensic cases. Nearly 80% of the respondents agreed for a separate PG course in FO and around 37% of them opted for MDS course in FO. Bitemark analysis and dental age estimations were considered the promising domains in FO by >80% of the participants. Conclusion: This questionnaire study was performed to analyze the awareness of FO among dental students, DPs, and DAs. The majority of the study participants were aware of FO. A thorough review of the literature on a similar topic was also done.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Acharya AB, Sivapathasundharam B. Forensic Odontology. Shafer’s Textbook of Oral Pathology. 5th ed. Elsevier, Gurgaon- India; 2006. p. 1199 227.
- Sahni A, Rehani S, Mathias Y, Kardam P, Nagpal R, Kumari R. A questionnaire survey on forensic odontology: Are we really aware? J Forensic Dent Sci 2016;8:113. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4103/0975-1475.186377
- Pillai JP, Chokkalingam TS, Aasaithambi B, Nuzzolese E. Establishment of the forensic odontology department: A proposed model for the basic infrastructure and forensic odontology kit. J Forensic Dent Sci 2019;11:64‑72. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4103/jfo.jfds_53_19
- Khare P, Chandra S, Raj V, Verma P, Subha G, Khare A. Status of forensic odontology in metro and in tier 2 city in urban India. J Forensic Dent Sci 2013;5:134‑7. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4103/0975-1475.119783
- Wadhwan V, Shetty DC, Jain A, Khanna KS, Gupta A. A call for a new speciality: Forensic odontology as a subject. J Forensic Dent Sci 2014;6:97‑100. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4103/0975-1475.132535
- Preethi S, Einstein A, Sivapathasundharam B. Awareness of forensic odontology among dental practitioners in Chennai: A knowledge, attitude, practice study. J Forensic Dent Sci 2011;3:63‑6. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4103/0975-1475.92145
- Singh NN, Gowhar O, Ain TS, Sultan S. Exploring trends in forensic odontology. J Clin Diagn Res 2014;8:ZC28‑30. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7860/JCDR/2014/9976.5273
- Sharma A, Shokeen S, Arora R, Dhaginakatti SA. Survey on knowledge, attitude and practice forensic odontology among private dental practitioners in Ghaziabad city, India. J Dent Specialities 2015;3:43‑7.
- Gambhir RS, Singh G, Talwar PS, Gambhir J, Munjal V. Knowledge and awareness of forensic odontology among dentists in India: A systematic review. J Forensic Dent Sci 2016;8:2‑6. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4103/0975-1475.176954
- Nagarajappa R, Mehta M, Shukla N, Tuteja JS, Bhalla A. Awareness of forensic odontology among dental prac‑ titioners in Kanpur City, India: A KAP study. J Dent Res Updates 2014;1:6‑12.
- Mehrotra V, Mishra G, Sachdev R, Garg K, Mukherjee S, Saxena S. Perception of dental practitioners in and around Kanpur city towards forensic odontology: A cross sectional study. Int J Res Med Sci 2019;7:2732‑6. DOI: https://doi.org/10.18203/2320-6012.ijrms20192909
- Shivakumar GC, Srivastava A, Shivakumar S. Knowledge and attitude assessment of dental practitioners towards forensic odontology in Varanasi City. Int J Scientific Res Rev 2018;6:533‑38.
- Harchandani N, Marathe S, Hebbale M, Ul Nisa S, Hiremutt D. Awareness of forensic odontology among general dental practitioners in Pune A cross‑sectional study. J Adv Med Dent Sci Res 2014;2:10‑6.
- Isher DK, Singh Isher PP, Kaur N, Rakhra J. Knowledge, awareness and practice of forensic odontology among the dentists of Punjab. J Indian Acad Oral Med Radiol 2019;31:239‑45. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4103/jiaomr.jiaomr_108_19
- Navya N, Raj JD. To assess the knowledge and attitude toward forensic odontology among dentists in Chennai city. Int J Forensic Odontol 2016;1:17‑20. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4103/2542-5013.185701
- Available from: http://www.iafo.in. [Last accessed on 2020 Jan 26].
- Dany SS, Rajput P. Tangade P. Perception and awareness among dental professionals of Odisha towards forensic odontology. IJCPHR 2016;1:18‑21.
- Hannah R, Ramani P, Natesan A, Sherlin HJ, Gheena S, Ramasubramanian A, et al. Evaluation of knowledge, attitude and practice of forensic odontology among under‑ graduate dental students. Int J Orofac Biol 2017;1:16‑20.
- Bhakhri S, Kaur A, Singh K, Puri MS, Puri N, et al. Perception of forensic odontology and its practice among the local dentists of an institution. J Forensic Res 2017;8:377. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4172/2157-7145.1000377
- Rahman J, Routray S, Mishra SS, Mohanty I, Mohanty N, Sukla N. Knowledge, awareness, and practice of forensic odontology among dental surgeons in Bhubaneswar, India. J Unexplored Med Data 2017;2:26‑33. DOI: https://doi.org/10.20517/2572-8180.2017.01
- Rubel M. Prashant GM, Kumar PGN, Sushanth VH, Imranulla M, Mallick S, Potila I. Awareness and compli‑ ance about forensic odontology among dentists in dental colleges of Davangere City, Karnataka, India. Int J Biomed Res 2017;8:143‑7.
- Rudraswamy S, Doggalli N, Chandrashekar BR, Manjunath M, Sreeshyla HS. Forensic odontology acquaintance among the students of a dental institution in Mysore City, India. Int J Forensic Odontol 2017;2:13‑7. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4103/ijfo.ijfo_7_17
- Narayanan D, Radhakrishna P, Prabhu S, Jose M. The cur‑ rent status of forensic odontology in India: Perception of postgraduates, faculty members, interns and general dental practitioners. Int J Res Health Allied Sci 2017;3:42‑5.
- Shetty P, Raviprakash A. Forensic odontology in India, an oral pathologist’s perspective. J Forensic Dent Sci 2011;3:23‑6. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4103/0975-1475.85291
- Kumaraswamy J, Nagarajachar RB, Keshavaiah R, Susainathan A, Sreenivas Reddy MB, Naidu J. A cross‑sec‑ tional study to assess knowledge, attitude, and awareness of forensic odontology among medical students: An emer‑ gency concern. Int J Forensic Odontol 2018;3:17‑20. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4103/ijfo.ijfo_3_18
- Roy M, Akhil S, Kumar RV, Thomas J, Saji AM, Iype AK. Connecting forensic odontology among medical practitio‑ ners in central Kerala‑An original study. J Family Med Prim Care 2019;8:1427‑31. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4103/jfmpc.jfmpc_166_19
- Selvajothi P, Lavanya C, Joshua E, Rao UK, Ranganathan K. Awareness of Forensic Odontology among Legal Professionals, Chennai, India. N Am J Med Sci 2014;6:553‑7. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4103/1947-2714.145459
- Pandit S, Desai D, Jeergal P, Venkatesh S. Awareness of forensic odontology among police personnel: A new ray of hope in forensic odontology. J Forensic Dent Sci 2016;8:56. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4103/0975-1475.176949
- Sultan S. Awareness of forensic odontology & child abuse among lawyers of Srinagar, India. IOSR J Dent Med Sci 2017;16:70‑4.
- Sharma D, Koshy G, Pabla A, Garg S, Singh M. An insight into the awareness and utilization of “dental evidence” among the police force in Punjab. J Forensic Dent Sci 2018;10:27‑33. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4103/jfo.jfds_70_17