Forensic science is the art of identifying, evaluating and presenting evidences in the
Court of law. The branch of endodontics plays a vital role in aiding the investigative
procedures. The advances in biomaterials that are used and the evolution of
radiographic and imaging techniques help in identifying the similarities and differences
between ante-mortem and post-mortem evidences. Fire constitutes a major contribution
in the mode of disasters or during cremation or mass accidents.
There are various studies that compare the effect of heat and the alterations that occur
in dental tissues and materials. This paper reviews on a comparative scale various in
vitro studies and review articles on the basis of the effect of high temperature on
endodontic materials and dental tissues..
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Kavitha B, Einstein A, Sivapathasundharam B, Saraswathi TR. Limitations in Forensic Odontology. J Forensic Dent Sci. 2009; 1(1):8-10. https://doi.org/10.4103/09742948.50881
- Sushmitha YRS, Yelapure M, Hegde MN, Devadiga D, Reddy U. Knowledge and awareness of role of endodontics in Forensic Odontology - A questionnaire based survey among postgraduate STUDENTS. J Evol Med Dent Sci. 2020; 9(5):262–5.
- Ahmed HM. Endodontics and forensic personal identification: An update. Eur J of Gen Dent. 2017; 6:5–8. https://doi.org/10.4103/2278-9626.198593
- Rotzscher K, Grundmann C, Benthaus S. The effects of high temperatures on human teeth and dentures. Int Poster J Dent Oral Med. 2004; 6(1):1–4.
- Patel A, Parekh V, Kinariwala N, Johnson A, Gupta MS. Forensic identification of endodontically treated teeth after heat-induced alterations: An in vitro study. Eur Endod J. 2020; 3:271–6.
- Vazquez L, Rodriguez P, Moreno F. In vitro macroscopic analysis of dental tissues and some dental materials used in endodontics, submitted to high temperatures for forensic applications. Rev Odontol Ecuat, 2012; 16(3):171–81.
- Pol CA, Ghige SK, Gosavi SR, Hazarey VK. Effects of elevated temperatures on different restorative materials: An aid to forensic identification process. J Forensic Dent Sci. 2015; 7(2):148–52. https://doi.org/10.4103/09751475.154591. PMid:26005305. PMCid:PMC4430574
- Prakash AP, Reddy SDP, Rao MT, Ramanand OV. Scorching effects of heat on extracted teeth - a forensic view. J of Forensic Dental Sciences. 2014; 6(3):186–90.
- Norrlander AL. Burned and incinerated remains. In: Bowers CM (editor), Manual of Forensic Odontology. Colorado Springs: American Society of Forensic Odontology; 1997. p.16–18.
- Bush MA, Bush PJ, Miller RG. Detection and classification of composite resins in incinerated teeth for forensic purposes. J Forensic Sci. 2006; 51:636–42. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1556-4029.2006.00121.x.
- PMid:16696713 11. Phillips VM, Scheepers CF. Comparison between fingerprint and dental concordant characteristics. J Forensic Odontostomatol, 1990; 8(1):17–9.
- Merlati G, Danesino P, Savio C, Fassina G, Osculati A, Menghini P. Observations on dental prosthesis and restorations subjected to high temperstures: Experimental studies to aid identification process. J Forensic Odontostomatol. 2002; 20:17–24.
- Moreno S, Merlati G, Marin L, Savio C, Moreno F. Effects of high temperatures on different dental restorative systems: Experimental study to aid identification processes. J of Forensic Dental Sciences, 2009; 1(1):17–23. https://doi.org/10.4103/0974-2948.50883
- Merlati G, Savio C, Danesino P, Fassina G, Menghini P. Further study of restored and unrestored teeth subjected to high temperatures. J Forensic Odontostomatol, 2004; 22:17– 24.
- Sharma S. Macroscopic and microscopic effects of elevated temperatures on unrestored and restored teeth: An in-vitro forensic study. Asian J of Medical Sciences, 2020; 11(2):75–84. https://doi.org/10.3126/ajms.v11i2.26364
- Sharda K, Jindal V, Chhabra A, Damanpreet, Dilpreet. Effect of high temperature on composite as post endodontic restoration in forensic analysis — An in vitro study. Dent J Adv Stud. 2014; 2(11):84–90. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0038-1671991
- Kiran R, Chapman J, Tennant M, Forrest A, Laurence J. Walsh. Effect of heat on the fluorescence properties of tooth-colored restorative materials and their forensic implications. J Forensic Sciences, 2019; 1–9. https://doi.org/10.1111/1556-4029.14122. PMid:31674673
- Ranganath A, Nasim I. Effect of high temperatures on root canal obturation – An aid in forensic identifications. J Adv Pharm Res. 2017; 7(3): 256–8.
- Khirtika SG, Ramesh S. Effect of high temperature on crowns as post endodontic restoration in forensic analysis: An in vitro study. J Adv Pharm Edu Res, 2017; 7(3):240–3.