Micro secure digital card: A novel method for denture identification
Aim: Denture labeling is of vital significance in social and forensic scenario. Numerous published work have attempted to present best method for denture marking, however not all satisfy crucial requirement either in terms of cost or storage of large amount of information. Hence, this paper describes a simple, cheap, and feasible denture marking system using portable Micro Secure Digital (MicroSD) card. These cards are created to store, modify, and view large amount of information with mobile phones, which forms an important part in majority of household in India. Materials and Methods: After try-in make a depression slightly wider than the size of the MicroSD card on the external lingual flange of the trial mandibular denture. Process the denture together with acrylic wax flap according to manufacturer′s instructions. The acrylic flap is planned in such a way that it is well-flushed with surrounding areas and can be lifted on one side to access the card. MicroSD card is placed in the denture and flap is closed. Conclusion: The proposed method is simple, cheap, and can store large amount of information.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
How to Cite
Shreya Colvenkar, & Sujatha Gopal. (2014). Micro secure digital card: A novel method for denture identification. Journal of Forensic Dental Sciences, 6(3), 183–185. https://doi.org/10.4103/0975-1475.137054
- Thomas CJ, Mori T, Miyakwa O, Chung HG. In search of a suitable denture marker. J Forensic Odontostomatol 1995;13:9‑13.
- Harvey W. Identity by teeth and the marking of dentures. Br Dent J 1966;121:334‑40.
- Johanson G, Ekman B. Denture marking. J Am Dent Assoc 1984;108:347‑50.
- Thomas CJ. The role of the denture in identification: A review. J Forensic Odontostomatol 1984;2:13‑6.
- Todo J, Lukens EM. A technique for placing names in dentures. J Prosthet Dent 1977;37:469‑71.
- Toolson LB, Taylor TD. Method of denture identification. J Prosthet Dent 1989;61:114‑5.
- Berry FA, Logan GI, Plata R, Riegel R. A postfabrication technique for identification of prosthetic devices. J Prosthet Dent 1995;73:341‑3.
- Ryan LD, Keller JB, Rogers DE, Schaeffer L. Clear acrylic resin T‑bar used in denture identification. J Prosthet Dent 1993;70:189‑90.
- Coss P, Wolfaardt JF. Denture identification system. J Prosthet Dent 1995;74:551‑2.
- Ibrahim WM. Denture microlabelling technique. J Prosthet Dent 1996;76:104.
- Milward PJ, Shepherd P, Brickley MR. Automatic identification of dental appliances. Br Dent J 1997;182:171‑4.
- Ling BC. Computer‑Printer denture microlabelling system. J Prosthet Dent 1998;79:363‑4.
- Bansal PK, Sharma A, Bhanot R. Denture labeling: A new approach. Contemp Clin Dent 2011;2:76‑8.
- Reeson MG. A simple and inexpensive inclusion technique for denture identification. J Prosthet Dent 2001;86:441‑2.
- Rajan M, Julian RA. A new method of marking dentures using microchips. J Forensic Odontostomatol 2002;20:1‑5.
- Millet C, Jeannin C. Incorporation of microchips to facilitate denture identification by radiofrequency tagging. J Prosthet Dent 2004;92:588‑90.
- Nuzzolese E, Marcario V, Di Vella G. Incorporation of radio frequency identification tag in dentures to facilitate recognition and forensic human identification. Open Dent J 2010;4:33‑6.
- Madrid C, Korsvold T, Rochat A, Abarca M. Radio frequency identification (RFID) of dentures in long‑term care facilities. J Prosthet Dent 2012;107:199‑202.
- Aguloglu S, Zortuk M, Beydemir K. Denture bar‑coding: A new horizon. Br Dent J 2009;206:589‑90.
- Rajendran V, Karthigeyan S, Manoharan S. Denture marker using a two‑dimensional bar code. J Prosthet Dent 2012;107:207‑8.
- Mahoorkar S, Jain A. Denture identification using unique identification authority of India barcode. J Forensic Sci 2013;5:60‑3.
- Sudheendra US, Sowmya K, Vidhi M, Shreenivas K, Prathamesh J. 2D barcodes: A novel and simple method for denture identification. J Forensic Sci 2013;58:170‑2.
- Colvenkar SS. Lenticular card: A new method for denture identification. Indian J Dent Res 2010;21:112‑4.