DNA profiling, commonly called DNA fingerprinting or DNA testing, has a wide range of uses, including assisting in criminal cases and wildlife conservation. The firm tissues of the teeth are resistant to external events such as decomposition, bruise, and incineration. Pulp tissue provides a rich DNA source. The review focuses on the various DNA Collection Procedures, the different techniques employed in DNA isolation and amplification. There are a numerous DNA Profiling or Typing systems such as Mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) analysis, Restriction Fragment Length Polymorphism, Y chromosome analysis, Single Nucleotide Polymorphism (SNP) typing , Short Tandem Repeat (STR) typing, Gender typing, X-chromosome STR Typing. DNA fingerprinting has been applied to solve many cases. Although present DNA analysis techniques are fairly specialized, several upcoming simplifications may increase their simplicity of use.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Rathore S, Pandey A, Verma AK and Kumar S. Role of dental expert in forensic odontology. Nat J Maxfac Surg. 2014; 5(1): 2. https://doi.org/10.4103/0975-5950.140147 DOI: https://doi.org/10.4103/0975-5950.140147
- Ata-Ali J and Ata-Ali F. Forensic dentistry in human identification: A review of the literature. Journal of Clinical And Experimental Dentistry. 2014; e162-7. https://doi.org/10.4317/jced.51387 DOI: https://doi.org/10.4317/jced.51387
- Potsch L, Meyer U, Rothschild S, Schneider PM and Rittner CH. Application of DNA techniques for identification using human dental pulp as a source of DNA. Int J Legal Med. 1992; 105(3):139-43. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01625165 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01625165
- Manjunath BC, Chandrashekar BR, Mahesh M and Rani RV. DNA profiling and forensic dentistry - A review of the recent concepts and trends. Journal of Forensic and Legal Medicine. 2011; 18(5):191-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j. jflm.2011.02.005 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jflm.2011.02.005
- Girish KL, Rahman FS and Tippu SR. Dental DNA fingerprinting in identification of human remains. J Forensic Dent Sci. 2010; 2(2):63. https://doi.org/10.4103/0975-1475.81284 DOI: https://doi.org/10.4103/0975-1475.81284
- Pray L. Discovery of DNA structure and function: Watson and Crick. Nature Education. 2008; 1(1).
- Dufour N. DNA Fingerprinting.
- Dutta SR, Singh P, Passi D, Varghese D and Sharma S. The role of dentistry in disaster management and victim identification: an overview of challenges in Indo-Nepal scenario. Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery. 2016; 15(4):442-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12663-016-0896-4 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s12663-016-0896-4
- Sharma A, Sachdeva A, Bhateja S and Arora G. DNA Fingerprinting - An Asset to Forensic Dentistry. Biomedical Journal. 1:4.
- Smith BC, Fisher DL, Weedn VW, Warnock GR and Holland MM. A systematic approach to the sampling of dental DNA. Journal of Forensic Sciences. 1993; 38:1194. https://doi.org/10.1520/JFS13524J DOI: https://doi.org/10.1520/JFS13524J
- Chaudhary RB, Shylaja MD, Patel A and Patel A. DNA in forensic odontology: New phase in dental analysis. International Journal of Forensic Odontology. 2020; 5(1):43.
- Jimson S, Sakari SL, Masthan KM and Jacobina J. Role of DNA profiling in forensic odontology. J Pharma Bio Allied Sci. 2015; 7(Suppl 1):S138. https://doi.org/10.4103/0975-7406.155863 DOI: https://doi.org/10.4103/0975-7406.155863
- Uddin MS, Rahman MT, Setu M, Sultana R and Moue A. Anwer Khan. Polymerase chain reaction (PCR): A short review. Modern Medical College Journal. 2013; 4(1):30-6. https://doi.org/10.3329/akmmcj.v4i1.13682 DOI: https://doi.org/10.3329/akmmcj.v4i1.13682
- Weedn VW and Foran DR. Forensic DNA typing. In Molecular pathology in clinical practice. 2016; 793-810. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-19674-9_54 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-19674-9_54
- Butler JM. Short tandem repeat typing technologies used in human identity testing. Biotechniques. 2007; 43(4):Sii-v. https://doi.org/10.2144/000112582 DOI: https://doi.org/10.2144/000112582
- Panneerchelvam S and Norazmi MN. Forensic DNA profiling and database. The Malaysian Journal of Medical Sciences: MJMS. 2003; 10(2):20.
- Stavrianos C, Eliades A and Kokkas A. The role of DNA in forensic odontology (Part I) DNA analysis methods. Research Journal of Medical Sciences. 2010; 4(6):334-9. https://doi.org/10.3923/rjmsci.2010.334.339 DOI: https://doi.org/10.3923/rjmsci.2010.334.339
- Saxena S, Sharma P and Gupta N. Experimental studies of forensic odontology to aid in the identification process. Journal of Forensic Dental Sciences. 2010; 2(2):69. https:// doi.org/10.4103/0975-1475.81285 DOI: https://doi.org/10.4103/0975-1475.81285
- Maheswari TU and Chaudhary M. Forensic odontologyrenowned cases solved. International Journal of Forensic Odontology. 2021; 6(1):1. https://doi.org/10.4103/2542-5013.185689 DOI: https://doi.org/10.4103/ijfo.ijfo_26_21
- Ramasamy C. A Select List of International Cases Involving Forensic Odontology.
- Krishnamurthy V, Manoj R and Pagare SS. Understanding the basics of DNA fingerprinting in forensic science. Journal of Indian Academy of Oral Medicine and Radiology. 2011; 23(4):613. https://doi.org/10.5005/jp-journals-10011-1233 DOI: https://doi.org/10.5005/jp-journals-10011-1233