Background: Autopsy is routinely performed by the coroner in all medico-legal cases but the dental expertise is rarely sought. However, oral autopsy involving careful visual examination, imaging and laboratory methods can aid in solving the enigma associated with legal aspects of crime scene and death investigation. Aim: To illustrate the importance of oral autopsy during routine post-mortem examination. Data Sources: Pub-Med, Google Scholar search engines were used to extract the data. Conclusion: Oral autopsy performed as an adjuvant to regular autopsy procedure will definitely benefit in the legal investigation related to visually identifiable, decomposed, burnt or skeletonized corpse.
- Stenn F. Six hundred years of autopsies. Laboratory Medicine. 1971;2(1):21–5. https://doi.org/10.1093/labmed/2.1.21
- American Board of Forensic Odontology (ABFO). Body Identification Information and Guidelines Revise. 2017 Feb.
- Gowda BKC, Mohan CV, Hemavathi. Oral autopsy: A simple, faster procedure for total visualization of oral Cavity. J Forensic Dent Sci. 2016;8(2):103–7. PMid: 27555728 PMCid: PMC4970404. https://doi.org/10.4103/09751475.186375
- Aka PS, Canturk N. Aka Canturk oral autopsy method for the dental identification of fetus and infant cases. Forensic Med Anat Res. 2014;2: 48–50. https://doi.org/10.4236/ fmar.2014.23009
- Shafer, Hine, Levy. Forensic odontology. Sivapathasundaram B, ed. Shafer’s Textbook of oral pathology, 8th edn. New Delhi: Elsevier Publishers; 2016. p. 724–40.
- Fonseca GM, Cantín M, Lucena J. Forensic dentistry as a morphological exercise in the medico-legal investigation of death. Int J Morphol. 2013;31(2):399–408. https://doi.org/10.4067/S0717-95022013000200006
- Senn DR, Weems RA. Manual of Forensic Odontology. A publication of the American Society of Forensic Odontology. Fifth Edition. Taylor and Francis Group, LLC CRC Press. 2013. P. 76–125.
- Nuzzolese E. Dental autopsy for the identification of missing persons. J Forensic Dent Sci. 2018;10:50–4. PMid: 30122870 PMCid: PMC6080158. https://doi.org/10.4103/ jfo.jfds_33_17
- Sharma D, Koshy G, Garg S, Sharma B, Grover S, Singh M. Oral autopsy, facial reconstruction and virtopsy: An update on endeavors to human identification. RUHSc Journal of Health Sciences. 2017;2(4):199–206. https://doi.org/10.37821/ruhsjhs.2.4.2017.199-206
- Stavrianos C, Dietrich EM, Stavrianos I, Petalotis N. The role of dentistry in the management of mass disasters and bioterrorism. Acta Stomatol Croat. 2010;44(2):110–9.
- Haribhakti VV. Restoration, reconstruction and rehabilitation in head and neck cancer. Springer. 2019. p. 8. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-2736-0
- Heit OF, Silva RF, Franco A. Improving traditional dental autopsies in postmortem examinations of intraoral gunshot wounds. J Forensic Legal Med. 2014;23:87–90. PMid: 24661714. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jflm.2014.02.004
- https://fragoimpex.com/surgical/thoracic%20and%20 lung/thoracic%20lung%2057.htm
- Junior AFDR, Souza PHC, Coudyzer W, Thevissen P, Willems G, Jacobs R. Virtual autopsy in forensic sciences and its applications in the forensic odontology. Rev Odonto Cienc. 2012;27(1):5–9. https://doi.org/10.1590/S198065232012000100001
- Cooper SGC, Urlich-Bochsler S, Uldin T, Ross S, Oesterhelweg L, Bolliger S, Christe A, Schnyder P, Mangin P, Thali MJ. Estimation of sex and age of “virtual skeletons”a feasibility study. Eur Radiol. 2009;19:419–29. PMid: 18766348. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00330-008-1155-y
- Oesterhelweg L, Bolliger SA, Thali MJ, Ross S. Virtopsy postmortem imaging of laryngeal foreign bodies. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2009;133:806–10. PMid: 19415958. https://doi.org/10.5858/133.5.806
- Nagaraj T, Nigam H, Gogula S, Sumana CK, Biswas A. Virtopsy: An emerging tool. J Adv Clin Res Insights. 2018;5:38–40. https://doi.org/10.15713/ins.jcri.205
- Perju-Dumbrava D, Aniţan S, Siserman C, Fulga I, Opincaru I. Virtopsy - An alternative to the conventional autopsy. Rom J Leg Med. 2010;1:75–8. https://doi.org/10.4323/rjlm.2010.75