Background: Odontometric and osteologic trait have always served as an excellent resource in anthropological, genetic, odontologic, and forensic investigations. Traits: The aim of this study was to find the most reliable method for gender determination by correlating both the odontometric and osteologic variables. Materials and Methods: A retrospective study was conducted using digital panoramic radiographs of 400 individuals (200 males and 200 females) with age ranging from 20 to 50 years. Standardized digital panoramic radiographs of patients taken as part of pretreatment planning for implants, extractions of third molars, and for periodontal diseases were selected from the archives. Measurements were done using IMAGE Pro software. Results: Mesiodistal width of 17–47 exhibited significant gender variation. Osteologic parameters such as ramus dimension and the gonial angle also showed significant gender variation and the mandibular asymmetry was significant in both the genders. Conclusion: Correlation of the two group of traits showed strong positive predictive values attributable for gender determination.
- Rajendran R, Sivapathasundaram B. Shafer’s Textbook of Oral Pathology. 6th ed. India: Elseveir; 2009.
- Khangura RK, Sircar K, Singh S, Rastogi V. Sex determina‑ tion using mesiodistal dimension of permanent maxillary incisors and canines. J Forensic Dent Sci 2011;3:81‑5.
- Gupta M, Srivastava R, Jyoti B, Jha P, Jayaram R, Devi P. Gender determination from the mesiodistal dimension of permanent maxillary incisors and canines: An odontomet‑ ric study. J Indian Acad Oral Med Radiol 2014;26:287.
- Abu-Taleb NS, El Beshlawy DM. Mandibular ramus and gonial angle measurements as predictors of sex and age in an Egyptian population sample: A digital panoramic study. J Forensic Res 2015;6:1.
- Maloth KN, Kundoor VK, Vishnumolakala SS, Kesidi S, Lakshmi MV, Thakur M. Mandibular ramus: A predictor for sex determination-A digital radiographic study. J Indian Acad Oral Med Radiol 2017;29:242.
- Grover M, Bai RG, Ram T, Puri PM, Ghodke KR. An odontologist’s key to sex determination: study analysis of mandibular canine teeth in South Indian population. J Orofac Res 2013:157-60.
- Rajathi JM, Ramasamy S, Austin R, Mathew P. Validation of dental panoramic radiographs for the localization of impacted maxillary canines. Indian J Oral Sci 2014;5:10.
- Choi BR, Choi DH, Huh KH, Yi WJ, Heo MS, Choi SC, et al. Clinical image quality evaluation for panoramic radiography in Korean dental clinics. Imaging Sci Dent 2012;42:183‑90.
- Lucchesi MV, Wood RE, Nortjé CJ. Suitability of the panoramic radiograph for assessment of mesiodistal angu‑ lation of teeth in the buccal segments of the mandible. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop 1988;94:303‑10.
- Thapar R, Angadi PV, Hallikerimath S, Kale AD. Sex assess‑ ment using odontometry and cranial anthropometry: Evaluation in an Indian sample. Forensic Sci Med Pathol 2012;8:94‑100.
- Jawaid M, Amir A, Shahnawaz K, Qamar Y, Upadhay P, Singh J. Maxillofacial Imaging in Forensic Science: A Newer Approach. Int J Contemp Med Res ISSN 2016;43:2393‑915.
- Singh SK, Gupta A, Padmavathi BN, Kumar S, Roy S, Kumar A. Mandibular canine index: A reliable predictor for gender identification using study cast in Indian population. Indian J Dent Res 2015;26:396‑9.
- Macaluso PJ Jr. Sex discrimination potential of permanent maxillary molar cusp diameters. J Forensic Odontostomatol 2010;28:22‑31.
- Rothwell BR. Principles of dental identification. Dent Clin North Am 2001;45:253‑70.
- Upadhyay RB, Upadhyay J, Agrawal P, Rao NN. Analysis of gonial angle in relation to age, gender, and dentition status by radiological and anthropometric methods. J Forensic Dent Sci 2012;4:29‑33.
- Ogawa T, Osato S, Shishido Y, Okada M, Misaki K. Relationships between the gonial angle and mandibular ramus morphology in dentate subjects: A panoramic radio‑ photometric study. J Oral Implantol 2012;38:203‑10.
- Astete JC, San Pedro VJ, Suazo GI. Sexual dimorphism in the tooth dimensions of Spanish and Chilean peoples. Int J Odontostomat 2009;3:47‑50.
- Macaluso PJ Jr. Investigation on the utility of permanent maxillary molar cusp areas for sex estimation. Forensic Sci Med Pathol 2011;7:233‑47.
- Suragimath G, Ashwinirani SR, Christopher V, Bijjargi S, Pawar R, Nayak A. Gender determination by radiographic analysis of mental foramen in the Maharashtra population of India. J Forensic Dent Sci 2016;8:176.
- Gupta S, Jain S. Orthopantomographic analysis for assess‑ ment of mandibular asymmetry. J Indian Orthod Soc 2012;46:33‑7.
- Samatha K, Byahatti SM, Ammanagi RA, Tantradi P, Sarang CK, Shivpuje P. Sex determination by mandibular ramus: A digital orthopantomographic study. J Forensic Dent Sci 2016;8:95‑8.