Background: The importance of frontal sinuses in Forensic Radiology has been well documented. Literature revealed few studies on the morphometric analysis of frontal sinuses on paranasal radiographs in sex determination. This initiated this radiographic study with the aim of analysing the dimensions of the frontal sinuses through digital PNS radiographs for gender determination. Materials and Methods: The study group comprised 150 healthy adults of either gender over the age of 20 years. One paranasal sinus radiograph was made for each patient using the standardized radiographic technique. Digital measurements of the height, width and area of the frontal sinuses were recorded using AutoCAD 2014 software. The data collected was subjected to statistical analysis. Results: This study found an accuracy rate of 68.6% for sex determination through paranasal sinus radiographs. It was noted that the right height of the frontal sinus was a better predictor than any other parameter assessed for identifying the gender. Conclusion: From the present study, we conclude that the dimensions of frontal sinuses on PNS views can be used as an essential tool for gender determination in forensic sciences.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Pallagatti S, et al. Maxillofacial imaging: An emerging tool in forensic science. Journal of Forensic Research. 2011; 2(6):1-3. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4172/2157-7145.1000135
- Shahin KA, Chatra L and Shenai P. Dental and craniofacial imaging in forensics. Journal of Forensic Radiology and Imaging. 2013; 1:56-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j. jofri.2012.12.001 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jofri.2012.12.001
- Kullman L, Eklund E and Grundin R. The value of the frontal sinuses in the identification of the unknown persons. J. Forensic Odonstostomatol. 1990; 8(1):3-10.
- Reichs KJ. Quantified comparisons of the frontal sinus pattern by means of the computed tomography. Forensic Sci. Int. 1993; 61(1-2):141-168. https://doi.org/10.1016/0379-0738(93)90222-V DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/0379-0738(93)90222-V
- Wood R. Forensic aspects of maxillofacial radiology. Forensic Science International. 2006; 159S:S47-S55. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forsciint.2006.02.015 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forsciint.2006.02.015
- Maurya M, Narvekar S, Naik S and Shet S. Computerized approach for dental identification using radiographs. International Journal of Scientific Research Publications. 2013; 3(5):1-5.
- Fatu CO, Puisoru M, Rotaru M, et al. Morphometric evaluation of the frontal sinus in relation to age. Ann Anat. 2006; 188(3):275-280. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aanat.2005.11.012 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aanat.2005.11.012
- Kim GR. A morphological study on paranasal sinuses in Koreans. Yonsei Medical Journal. 1962; 3(1):11-17. https://doi.org/10.3349/ymj.1918.104.22.168 DOI: https://doi.org/10.3349/ymj.1922.214.171.124
- Tatlisumak E, Ovali GY, Aslan A, Asirdizer M, Zeyfeoglu Y and Tarhan S. Identification of unknown bodies by using CT images of frontal sinus. Forensic Science International. 2007; 166:42-48. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forsciint.2006.03.023 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forsciint.2006.03.023
- Camargo JR, et al. The frontal sinus morphology in radiographs of Brazilian subjects: Its forensic importance. Brazilian Journal of Morphol. Science. 2007; 24(4):239-243.
- Ferreira da Silva R, Pinto RN, Ferreira GM and Daruge EJ. Importance of frontal sinus radiographs for human identification. Brazilian Journal of Otorhinolaryngology. 2008; 74(5):798. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1808-8694(15)31396-3 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S1808-8694(15)31396-3
- Neha, Mohan V, Kumar JS and Kumar SC. Morphometric evaluation of Frontal sinus in relation to Gender - A forensic study. University Journal of Dental Science. 2015; 1(2):7-11.
- Hanson Cl and Owsley DW. Frontal sinus size in Eskimo populations. Am. J. Phys. Anthropol. 1980; 53(2):251-255. https://doi.org/10.1002/ajpa.1330530209
- Szilvassy J. Development of the frontal sinuses. Anthropol Anz. 1981; 39(2):138-149.
- Chrtstine L Hanson and Douglas Owsley W. Frontal Sinus in Eskimo Populations. American Journal of Physical Anthropology. 1980; 53:251-255 https://doi.org/10.1002/ajpa.1330530209 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/ajpa.1330530209
- Ponde JM, Andrade RN, Via JM, Metzger P and Teles AC. Anatomical Variations of the Frontal Sinus. International Journal of Morphol. 2008; 26(4):803-808. https://doi. org/10.4067/S0717-95022008000400003 DOI: https://doi.org/10.4067/S0717-95022008000400003
- Lee MK, Sakai O and Spiegel Jeffrey H. CT measurement of the frontal sinus. Gender differences and implications for frontal cranioplasty. Journal of Cranio-maxillo-facial Surgery. 2010; 38:494e-500. https://doi.org/10.1016/j. jcms.2010.02.001 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcms.2010.02.001
- Raoof TM, Saeed KA, Mahmood KA. Anatomical variation of frontal sinuses evaluated by CT scan in relation to age and sex in Sulaimani city. JSMC. 2013; 3(1):33-45. https:// doi.org/10.17656/jsmc.10029 DOI: https://doi.org/10.17656/jsmc.10029
- Mathur H, Mathur A, Ahmed J, Khorate M and Tripathi P. Conventional Frontal Sinus Imaging in Identification of Sex: Original Study in Population of Udaipur City, India. Journal of Medical Science and Clinical Research. 2013; 1(1):33-37.
- Belaldavar C, Kotrashetti VS and Hallikerimath SR. Assessment of frontal sinus dimensions to determine sexual dimorphism among Indian adults. Journal of Forensic Dental Sciences. 2014; 6(1):25-30. https://doi.org/10.4103/0975-1475.127766 DOI: https://doi.org/10.4103/0975-1475.127766
- Garg N, Mohan V, Kumar JS and Kumar SC. Morphometric evaluation of Frontal sinus in relation to Gender - A forensic study. University Journal of Dental Science. 2015; 1(2):7-11.
- Rubira-Bullen IRF, Rubira, Sarmento VA and Azevedo RA. Frontal sinus size on facial plain radiographs. J. Morphol. Sci. 2010; 27(2):77-81.